Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

My creative space... A crochet cushion

You know when you make something for someone else but then you like it so much you want to keep it yourself?  Yes, well, that has happened to me this week.  Except I promise that I really wont keep it for myself and that it will be in the post to one of my lovely nieces tomorrow.... promise.... maybe.....


The front


The back


A close up of one of the squares.

I kinda modified a square I found in the Jan Eaton book, 200 crochet blocks.  I really liked the little flowery bit in the middle and then just kept granny squaring out till I liked the size.  Here's the inspiration:


The back is just one big granny square which I just kept going with till it was the same size as the front one.  I did have some trouble with joining the front and back together cause they didn't quite match up but I dont think you can tell now it's all together.  I've realised now as well that I have crocheted the cushion in and I wont be able to get it out again for washing or replacing.... oops. 

I joined my granny squares during the final white round by doing the three trebles and then slip stitching into the spaces on the previous square.  Does that make sense to you?  It's ended up looking quite neat and was easier than some of the other ideas I found on the interwebs.

So, there you have it - my first Granny Square Cushion!  I feel like every time I finish a crochet project I really must thank Pip at Meet Me at Mikes for her marvellous granny square tutorial videos as this is where I learnt to crochet from.  Thanks Pip!

You can see other lovely creative spaces with Kirsty at Kootoyoo.

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty - I'm sure your niece will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would want to hang on to it too. loverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made many things that I fall in love with along the way and find it so hard to part with. I can see why you want to keep it, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fab - I would find it very hard to post as well!!! Best you start on one for keeping straight away or you will always be missing it. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to let things go once you have made them. Sometimes when you make things for others you curse and think why am I doing this? Then when it is finished you think... Can I possibly keep it? The cushion is so lovely I can see why you would like to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your colour choices - a beautiful gift for your nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought my 3rd girl a crocheted cushion at a market, it's one of her favourite things!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete

Welcome poppets! I'd love to hear what you have to say so please dont go without saying it!